River Falls Days 2020
The Chamber Board of Directors unanimously voted to cancel River Falls Day for 2020. It was a difficult decision to make but in the interest of the safety of our community, staff, and volunteers, it was the right thing to do.
We know that several non-profits use River Falls Days as a way to raise funds and we regret that those opportunities will be lost. River Falls Days is the Chamber’s largest fundraiser of the year and we fully understand the negative economic impact of the cancellation.
The recent outbreak of cases in River Falls underscored the likelihood that the summer will remain uncertain regarding the reach of the virus and the ability to hold large gatherings.
Other factors discussed included:
1. Reduced sponsorship amounts as businesses have been negatively impacted
2. Potential consumer fear to gather in large groups
3. Planning, infrastructure, and advertising expense that can’t be recovered if the event does not take place
4. Potential difficulty recruiting volunteers because of safety concerns
5. City staff still under social distancing and work from home protocols
Another factor was the Chamber’s extensive role in helping the community and local businesses to recover and rebound from the economic impacts of the COVID-19 outbreak. We are a proud partner of the City of River Falls and local public health officials in these efforts and they are a priority for our organization’s leadership and staff.
Moving forward the Chamber will explore different opportunities to celebrate River Falls during the normal event week with virtual events, promoting the many fun things to do in River Falls, and retail/restaurant promotions. We will also explore expanding Bacon Bash to include some elements of River Falls Days. We will begin planning for a bigger and better River Falls Days 2021!